People are experiencing more stress than ever before – what are the things we can do that will make a difference?
What causes stress?
Stress symptoms constitute one of the most obvious ways that the individual expresses threats to well being. The person creates the stress symptom in order to draw attention to what it is that they need to do for themselves. First, the symptoms manifest physically i.e. aches, pains etc but if not dealt with; symptoms will escalate to more serious manifestations i.e. ulcers, heart disease etc. Therefore, see the stress symptom as an opportunity to uncover the real issue.
What are the symptoms of Stress?
- Tension headaches
- Back pain
- Chest pain
- Increased heart rate
- High blood pressure
- Dizziness/excessive perspiration
- Dry mouth
Consequences of Stress:
- Behavioural: Smoking, drinking, drug use, emotional eating, violence
- Psychological: Sleep issues, anxiety, panic, depression, overwhelmed
- Medical Consequences: Headaches, back pain, ulcers, stomach & skin conditions, heart disease & stroke.
What are the solutions to reducing Stress?
- Time management
- Role Management
- Support Groups
- Work/Life balance.
Top Tips to be Stress free:
- Take time for self (downtime)
- Eat a healthy diet
- Drink in moderation
- Take time as a couple
- Don’t push yourself too hard
- Ask for help/support
- Learn to say No, by knowing your limits
- Have a balance between work & home life
- Rest when you are tired
- Allow adequate time
- Affirm self/Believe in self/Encourage self/Reward self/ Treat self
- Take time to see friends
- Take time for a walk/hobby/join a club
- Time to relax means you reenergise and feel refreshed.